Are you applying for a new TSC Number or Certificate? Well the Teachers Service Commission, TSC, is mandated with the responsibility of registering new teachers in Kenya. Remember, it is an offense to teach minus having a TSC number/ registration certificate.
The TSC Act 2012 requires that every trained teacher to be registered by the Teachers Service Commission, before they can be assigned duties in any school in Kenya, be it a private and public school.
To back this TSC act, the ministry of education released a directive in late 2016 to all county commissioners to ensure that only qualified teachers to enter classrooms as of 2017. A qualified teacher is the one who has been registered by the Teacher Service Commission and awarded a certificate of registration.
If you are a trained teacher and you don’t have a TSC number, no need to worry anymore. I’m going to guide you through how to secure one.
It is good to note that TSC does not recognize any application made manually. This means that everything is done online.
The documents yoh are required to have are;
National ID (Both sides)
· Degree/Diploma/PTE/ECDE Certificate (As Applicable)
· Academic Transcripts (For Degree/Diploma holders)
· KCSE Certificate
· KCPE Certificate
· Certificate of Good Conduct
· KRA Pin Certificate
· GP 69 Medical Form
· Bank Slip (If you’ve paid via the bank)
· A screenshot of the MPESA transaction message (If you’ve paid via mpesa)
· Your Passport size photo (You can take it using your smartphone)
HOW DO I PAY THE TSC REGISTRATION APPLICATION FEE?
There are two ways to pay the application fee of 1,055/-. Use any of them.
PAYING VIA MPESA:
· PayBill Number 625625
· Account No. Your ID Number Starting with TSC… (eg. TSC12345678)
· Account Number: 01001000905001
LOST YOUR KCPE/KCSE CERTIFICATES?
· You can apply online for confirmation of results then proceed with the TSC application without the lost certificate.
· Open this link, click ‘Register’ to create an account then apply. Link: https://qmis.knec.ac.ke/
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS CONFIRMATION OF RESULTS APPLICATION:
· A photocopy/result slip of the lost certificate. or
· The Class nominal results sheet for the year you did the exam.
· APPLICATION FEE: You’ll be required to pay an application fee of Kshs. 2,320 via MPESA Pay bill 250544. The Mpesa Account number is provided via SMS after submission of the application and verification of your documents.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY NAMES ARE NOT MATCHING ON MY DOCUMENTS
If the names in any of your academic documents don’t match with your ID, obtain an affidavit from an advocate or commissioner of oaths (An advocate/ Lawyer will do this for you). It is uploaded among the documents.
CAN ONE USE PHOTOCOPIES TO APPLY FOR A TSC NUMBER?
Use original documents. To use photocopies, they must be certified at the sub-county TSC office. If you’ve lost any of the original documents, make arrangements to have the results confirmed at KNEC.
HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE TSC NUMBER?
The duration is not really specified. It all depends on the processing speed and logistics at the registry.
If there is a delay, applicants can call the head office for inquiries.
HEAD OFFICE CONTACTS:
WHAT IS GP 69 AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A GP 69 is a medical examination form that is downloaded online then printed for filling.
Part 1 is stamped at the sub-county office then part 2 is filled by a doctor.
Download the GP 69 form here
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY TSC NUMBER, ONLINE?
CATEGORIES OF TEACHERS TO BE REGISTERED BY TSC
TSC registers teachers having the following qualifications:
1. Early Child Development Education-ECDE
2. Primary Teacher Education-PTE
3. Diploma in Education
4. Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
5. Bachelor of Education
6. Bachelor of Arts/ Bachelor of Science
TSC registration qualifications for ECDE teachers registration
Each of the categories of trained teachers possess a unique minimum registration requirements.
Minimum requirements for Certificate ECDE teachers
· Have a Minimum of CPE/KCPE together with an ECDE Certificate from the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC). OR
· Have a KCSE mean grade of D+(minimum) and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC. OR
· Have a minimum mean grade of D (plain) at KCSE, a KNEC proficiency certificate, plus an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
Minimum requirements Diploma ECDE teachers
· Have a KCSE Mean Grade of C Plain and an ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
· Have a KCSE Mean grade of C+ (minimum) plus a University Diploma in ECDE.
Minimum requirements Degree ECDE teachers
· Have a KCSE Mean grade C+ (and above) and a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in ECDE.
TSC requirements for primary teachers registration
Primary school teachers should have the following minimum requirements for them to be registered:
· Have a PTE (P1) Certificate from KNEC.
· Have Bachelors of Education (B.Ed.) degree (Primary education) (with 2 teaching subjects) from an accredited university.
Minimum TSC qualifications for the registration of secondary school teachers
· Have a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree in 2 teaching subjects, a KCSE mean grade C+ (or above), and the same grade in your two specialization subjects. OR.
Have a BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree or a BSc. (Bachelor of Science) degree, a KCSE mean grade C+ (or above), plus the same grade in your two specialization subjects and a PGDE.
· Have a Diploma in Education (minimum) plus a Minimum KCSE grade C Plus or above and C+ or above in the two subjects specialization.
To be registered by TSC, one must submit the required documents. The documents are categorized as per the citizenship status of the teacher.
TSC Registration requirements for Teachers (Kenyan Citizens).
Kenyan citizens seeking to be registered as teachers by TSC should present the following documents:
1. Certificate of Good Conduct
2. relevant academic and professional certificates from recognized institutions
3. a copy of Identity Card or Passport
4. passport photo
5. KRA Pin Certificate
6. dully filled GP 69 Medical Form and
7. Payment of the registration fee; Non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- Deposit is made to the TSC; Registration Account – National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001 or Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
TSC Registration requirements for Teachers (Non-Kenyan Citizens)
For non-citizens, the following must be produced:
1. academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
2. Academic and Professional Certificates. NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
3. Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
4. a valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
5. a valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin
6. vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya) and
7. prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055
Scan and send original documents.
New TSC Teacher Registration Process
The new TSC teacher registration process is straightforward. Follow the steps below carefully:
· Ensure that you scan all the original documents (no need of having them certified if you have original documents. The documents should be less than 1 megabyte (1MB) for them to be uploaded.
· Then, access the TSC online portal by clicking this link https://teachersonline.tsc.go.ke/ (ensure you read through all the steps before clicking on the link so as to be sure of that is expected of you.
· Select ‘New Teacher registration’ from the top left corner of your window.
Type in your National ID card number/ Passport number and Surname in the boxes shown on your new window. Click ‘Next’ when done.
· In the new window, enter your phone number, KRA PIN and category. Tick ‘Yes’ for the Question; Are you a trained teacher?’ For ‘Category’, select ECDE, Primary, or Post-Primary (for secondary). Remember to select your Mean Grade and the Year you sat for the ordinary level examinations.
· In the next window, select your religion, date of birth, gender, nationality, home county, sub-county, employment type, email, addresses and all the required fields.
· Finally, it is time to upload your scanned documents. You will upload a document at a time. For longer documents like transcripts, ensure you merge them into a single PDF file. To upload a document, check and enter the required details from left to right of your screen; Enter Institution, from, to, specialization, certificate number and certificate year. Click ‘Choose file’ and locate the correct file in your storage. Click to select it. Select ‘save document’ to have stored on your profile/ uploaded. This will also give a chance to upload the next document. Click ‘Next’ each time you want to upload a new document. Remember to click ‘Save document’ each time you want to move to the next document.
· In the last window, enter details on subjects studied at college/ university, study hours, and grade scored. Also required are other details like if you were dismissed in the course of your studies. Enter the payment mode used and click the ‘the finalize and save everything down here’ button. (Remember, payment is made to National Bank of Kenya – No. 01001000905001 or Simple Banking, Mpesa, using Pay Bill Business Number 625625)